Monday, April 26, 2010

Daring Bakers: Traditonal British Pudding

The April 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Esther of The Lilac Kitchen. She challenged everyone to make a traditional British pudding using, if possible, a very traditional British ingredient: suet.

What is suet? Well my friends, suet is essentially animal fat/lard used to make flaky crusts. The idea of suet for a baking challenge turned me off. Thankfully, Esther did offer us a vegetarian and vegan option. Lucky for me, the vegan option required no special ingredients. Plus I had two ripe bananas that needed some loving.

I think I should have steamed the cake longer. According to instructions, I needed to steam the cake for 40-60 mins. I did 60, but I think it could have been longer. While the outside was nice and firm, the inside was still gooey. Like a molten lava cake. My husband though it was strange, but quite yummy. Me? It was chocolaty, definitely hit the spot. I am definitely going to try this again. I really want it to come out more cake like.

3 comments:

Audax said...

Lovely that are going to do some more and it sounds it like it was a smash hit. Nice photo.

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

The Betz Family said...

That looks interesting. I'm still trying to decipher it. Is it banana and chocolate pudding that is kind of cut into chunks in your bowl? Whatever it is, if it had chocolate in it it's got to be good and if it was like a lava cake it must be even better. Nice job on the challenge!

Wolf said...

It sounds like it tasted good even if it didn't come out of the bowl so well. So that's points in its favor.}:P